Specifying task.cpus for modules?

I’d like to call a single module multiple times with different numbers of CPUs (e.g. varying the number of files that FASTQC parallelizes over). Is there a way to do this? I can’t figure out how to specify task.cpus outside the process definition.

The variation is based on what? If you want to set the number of CPUs based on the task number, check the snippet below:

process FOO {
  debug true
  cpus { (task.index == 1) ? "1" : "2" }

input:
  val x

output:
  stdout

script:
  """
  echo $task.cpus
  """
}

workflow {
  Channel
    .of(1..10)
    | FOO
}

The snippet above will set cpus to 1 for the first process instance, and 2 for the remaining ones.

Output:

Thanks Marcel. The variation is based on the context in which the process is called, specifically which subworkflow is calling it.

Currently I’m doing this with params:

process FASTQC {
    label "FASTQC"
    cpus "${params.cpus}"
    memory "${params.mem}"
    input:
        path(reads)
    output:
        path("*.html"), emit: html
        path("*.zip"), emit: zip
    shell:
        '''
        fastqc -t !{params.cpus} !{reads}
        '''
}

And then specifying these with include:

include { FASTQC } from "../modules/local/fastqc" addParams(cpus: "${params.fastqc_cpus}", mem: "${params.fastqc_mem}")

This works but is a little clunky, I’d be interested in alternative solutions if they exist.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the snippet, @willbradshaw. It’s clearer now what you’re looking for. addParams is indeed the Nextflow way of handling this. Right now I can’t think of another solution, sorry.